Prairie View

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Off and Away

Hiromi and I are planning to leave tomorrow (Wed, the 12th) for Colorado. We will be gone till Monday, the 17th.

Roughly in the middle of that time we plan to attend a one-evening plus one-day Mannatech meeting in Denver. We're brave enough to withstand Joel's disapproving noises in order to do this.

The main reason for going to Colorado, of course, is to spend time with Shane and Dorcas in their "home" area.

Hiromi is always quick to think of reasons why a trip is not a good idea "now." And it is always "now." "We can't afford it. Who will take care of things here at home?" I like being at home too, but I think if we can't manage a trip while I'm on Sabbatical and he is unemployed, we have a 20-year old living at home who can keep an eye on things, we can stay at Shane and Dorcas' instead of paying hotel or cabin fees--if we can't manage it now, then we are in pretty sad straits. Even Hiromi was convinced after listening to this unimpeachable logic--or at least he agreed to the trip.

Yesterday he took the minivan to town for an oil change and a lube job, and got it cleaned thoroughly inside and out. This was possible because he had first unloaded all the farmer's market shelving and other paraphanalia that lives in the vehicle during the summer.

Dad will water the garden, Grant will ride herd on the animals, and Hilda and Mom will divvy up the produce from the garden. I'm still waiting to hear if Marijane will teach my S.S. class or if I need to find someone else.

I've begun working at school and will need to jump right back into the saddle when we get back. In some ways it felt like I was never gone. I've spent all my time so far on organizing the cleaning jobs, and I'm not done yet. This process needs to start from scratch every year because we always have the same jobs that need doing, but the number of people to do the jobs varies from year to year. So there's a lot of juggling to get the jobs sliced up just right so each person has a task roughly equivalent to every other person. I chose this job over doing the bulletin boards, which was fine with Norma, who preferred the bulletin boards.

Hiromi and I were in Colorado on our honeymoon, and once since then, with Joel when he was about 5 months old. The boys and I were there once with my parents, but for as close as it is, we don't go there often. "Close" is a relative term. It's about 7 1/2 hours to Shane's place.

We'll see how things go.

Tootles.

2 Comments:

  • Have a great trip!!

    By Blogger Dorcas Byler, at 8/14/2009  

  • As little affection as I may have for Mannatech, I don't actually recall making any "disapproving noises" regarding the trip. Careful about manufacturing controversy; we have enough of that already on the subject. :-)

    By Anonymous Joel, at 8/18/2009  

Post a Comment



<< Home