Prairie View

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Citizenship, Celebration, and Conscience

On Wednesday evening in church, Mike R. spoke. He had been given wide latitude in subject matter, under the general heading "What the Lord Has Been Doing in my Life." While we often have opportunity for spontaneous expression in our church services, I always enjoy these times of learning more about each person's faith journey. Invariably, such times draw us together.

We first learned to know Mike after he was in college, so we know only what he's told us of his earlier life. I didn't know that his family was very opposed to his choice of a church when he joined us. Our nonresistant stance was the major sticking point. They saw pacifism as dishonoring to the memory of Mike's uncle who had died in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II.

Mike's story coming on the heels of the patriotic fervor surrounding the 4th of July festivities, and, over that weekend, being in the presence of friends whose families are or have been in harm's way in military service leaves me thoughtful about the implications of our nonresistant position.

How does one reconcile the conviction that taking the life of another human being is wrong with the conviction that it is also wrong to disparage or take lightly the personal sacrifice others make in the service of their country? I cannot glibly dismiss the grief of Mike's extended family, or that of the classmate who grew up without her father because he died in the war when she was very young, or the concern of another classmate whose son in in Iraq now. Yet I believe that the way of peace is the better way, and for me, participation in military service would be antithetical to the way of peace.

When we looked at World War II films in high school, I remember Carol talking about scanning the faces in every crowd of soldiers, looking for her father. The mother of the soldier in Iraq often does not know where he is because of the sensitive nature of his job. She knows that somewhere he studied Arabic for 17 solid months, a tremendously challenging undertaking. When he was home last year, I talked to them both, and my friend spoke of her desire to trust her son's safety into God's hands. What mother would not struggle with this? Mike's family were farmers, and no doubt looked forward to their son and brother returning to the family farm some day.

This year, at Farmer's Market on July 4, when the opening bell rang, the president of our market board interrupted the busy vendor/shopper conversations to ask everyone to say the flag salute together, while looking at the flag on the end wall of the open-air shelter. After that, someone sang "The Star Spangled Banner." No one moved till it was over. I saluted the flag along with everyone else, (when I was not too choked up) remembering as I did so some of my friends who do not do that, as a matter of principle.

I say the flag salute because I am very grateful to be an American. I do not pledge my highest loyalty to the United States of America. That goes to God. But loyalty is a virtue I try to cultivate in many human relationships, my national identity among them. I do not pretend that our country is a Christian nation; I think that is possible only on an individual basis. Neither do I think our country always acts commendably toward its own citizens or toward the citizens of other countries. I grieve when our country's actions or policies cause harm to anyone.

In our country right now, the way of peace looks like the easy way, because our country's laws exempt from military service those who are conscientiously opposed. Alternative service is usually not physically dangerous, as military service often is. But this situation of favor toward conscientious objectors is rare on the world scene now, and it is historically very recent in this country. For most of Christian history, the way of peace has been an extraordinarily hard way, and many died rather than take up arms. Others were imprisoned and tortured. It is partly for our currently favorable conditions that I feel grateful to be an American in this time. I think of this when I say the Pledge of Allegiance.

I have three immediate family members who are naturalized American citizens. For each of them, becoming a citizen marked the beginning of new freedoms and opportunities. Some of my siblings have lived abroad for several years at a time. Each of them returned to this country very aware of the privilege that citizenship here entails. Saying the Pledge of Allegiance reminds me of the blessing that American citizenship has conferred on my family.

So are patriotic feelings OK for nonresistant Christians? How about unpatriotic feelings? Are they OK? Here's how I see it:

1. Showing disrespect toward our country or its leaders is wrong. Even when we disagree, we must be agreeable. I don't appreciate name-calling, and I can't see it as being consistent with nonresistance, or Christian virtue in general.

2. Gratitude and loyalty for what is good and right are commendable. If that comes out looking like patriotism, so be it. On the other hand, a determination to be patriotic at all costs could very easily involve compromise with Scriptural principles, and we could end up defending that which Scripture condemns. Patriotism works better as an incidentall than a goal.

3. Christians ought not shrink from speaking truth, even to powerful people. The Apostle Paul did this so well--apologizing when he inadvertently failed to show proper respect to a ruler whose rank he did not recognize at first. Yet he challenged rulers fearlessly, about their moral failure, and their personal responsibility to repent before God. He also cited the laws of the land when he saw them being violated to his hurt. He appealed when he had the legal recourse to do so.

4. Humility is always in order. In the absence of humility, even right actions do not honor God as they should. They don't help us make friends either. Being proudly nonresistant is an oxymoron.

5. Citizenship in the kingdom of heaven is our highest privilege. Citizenship in an earthly country can be problematic and fraught with dilemmas, even while conferring privileges. Our identity as heavenly citizens helps provide guidance for how to behave as earthly citizens.

6. Love and kindness to others should guide all our relationships. When others participate in military service, we will pray for them. We'll also pray for an end to hostilities so that all loss of life on both sides of a conflict can come to an end. We will care about the grief others feel when there is injury or death. We will live peaceably, and when the time is right, we will speak of our basis in faith for doing so.

I really could do without the noise and the faintly dangerous aspects of the Independence Day celebrations. But I love the colors and patterns of the fireworks. The occasion helps me feel grateful that I live here, right now. I offer these pleasures and this privilege of being an American back to God with an open hand. I will not clutch it desperately or wave it proudly. I will let it rest there, where God put it, recognizing that all the kingdoms of the world are also in His hand, and I can trust my citizenship into His care.

2 Comments:

  • Well put. I have tumbled the same things over in my mind at times.
    I do know it is Biblical to love one's homeland, which can seem the same as patriotism but isn't exactly.
    I also know that I never gave this kind of thing much thought until I spent two weeks in Yemen in 1998, and when I came home I wanted to kiss the ground and wrap myself in the flag. We are blessed.

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 7/12/2009  

  • Miriam, I had meant to respond earlier to this interesting post! Here are a few thoughts I had on the matter.

    Being a part of the kingdom of God asks for not only our highest loyalty, but our total loyalty. While for many this does not preclude saluting our flag, there are often values involved in honoring one’s earthly country that don’t co-exist with some of Jesus’ teachings. Somehow, experiencing a sense of pride or security when singing about seeing our flag illuminated by “the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air” which were meant to destroy people doesn’t seem to fit well with turning the other cheek to our enemies. While living in America offers us much material opportunity and privilege, along with a measure of ‘peace and safety’, Jesus Christ Himself, who has taken away hostility between all people, is our Peace. (Gal. 2)

    By Blogger Rhoda, at 7/16/2009  

Post a Comment



<< Home