Prairie View

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Teacher Evaluations Done

On Wednesday of last week, I spent most of the day at the grade school doing teacher evaluations. It was a good day, and fun to see all that is going on in the classrooms. I saw lots of things being done right, and I gave out many fours and fives on my five-point rating scale.

The teachers had planned a schedule for me, with visits during a time of the teacher's choosing. Before I left each classroom, I gave the teacher a blank copy of the evaluation form. I took the filled-out one with me and gave all of them together to the principal. All the sheets had added comments--some of them continued on the back of the sheet.

Here's my homemade evaluation form:

************************

Teacher____________________________________

Activities during observation_______________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________

Scale: 5–Notable 3–Moderately in Evidence 1–Not Present ND--No Determination Possible

_____Students’ facial expressions are innocent/enlightened/interested?

_____Pleasant physical surroundings?

_____Orderly and relaxed atmosphere?

_____Evidence of preparation for classes?

_____Effective presentation of new material?

_____Effective answering of questions?

_____Smooth transitions between activities?

_____Good rapport between students and teacher?

_____Teacher models good handwriting?

_____Teacher models clear pronunciation?

_____Teacher treats students respectfully?

_____Teacher is appropriately enthusiastic about subject matter?

_____Teacher is knowledgeable about the subject matter?

_____Teacher functions under the authority of parents and others in the church and school?

Comments:





Disclaimer: I realize that some of what appears here does not directly reflect the teacher’s role and responsibility. Other things are not easy to observe or measure in one hour of observation. My hope is that it will help focus attention on some of the things that are necessary for an effective educational program. Also, many of these observations are not easily quantifiable, and I don’t claim them to be anything but subjective impressions.

*********************

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home