Prairie View

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Quote for the Day 2/11/2009

Trippy: (Eyes momentarily glued on a romantic scene from the movie Wes was previewing for Anabaptist History class) : I sure hope that is a mother and son.

It wasn't. It was the characters who impersonated Michael Sattler and his wife Margaretha.

Wes is gone for several days to a funeral in PA, and I am standing in for him during Anabaptist History class. We've spent two days watching The Radicals, which is based on Myron Augsburger's book Pilgrim Aflame, Michael Sattler's story.

Watching a movie is a painless way to conduct class, except for the painful long, slow kissing scenes and the gory persecution scenes. If you've done this in a room full of teenagers, you know that no one in the audience moves during the kissing scenes. As though, if you hold still enough, it'll be over quicker. You close your eyes during the bloody scenes. I do, at least.

Movie makers, one and all, seem to think everyone loves romance in movies. I suppose that is true. We all love it in real life, at least. But, up close and personal, as an observer, in the presence of a group? Not so much. Where are all the hormones supposed to retreat to at such times? What goes through the minds of the actors while they're exchanging passionate-looking endearments with people they may have nothing in common with except their acting profession?

I hope someday some Christian who is passionate about drama and acting finds a way to convey the emotion of a story without subjecting the audience to embarrassment, or to grist for the nightmare mill.

Let me explain. I've noticed that being forced to participate as an onlooker in any highly charged situation makes me uncomfortable. It's not just when romance is involved. For example, when a child is being spanked, even if I know the punishment is reasonable, and the parent is loving, it usually appears almost abusive to me. Yet I have spanked children and been spanked, and don't believe I was abused or handed out abuse. Ditto a person who is photographed in tears. I hate it. It seems wretchedly intrusive of that photographer. But I often cry, and other people see me. No, I don't really like it, but I don't feel that they are horrible for seeing me, and I certainly don't view other people's tears with disgust. The point is that I am not afraid of strong emotions, but I prefer to avoid encountering them when I can do so only as a spectator. Is this typical or reasonable? I haven't a clue.

Obviously, my viewpoint on this will not likely carry the day anywhere except right here where I'm declaring it. But I'm with Trippy. If that's not a mother and son, it better have another good reason for being there in that movie. If it's just there because it's what movie makers think they have to do. . . . As far as I'm concerned, stop it. Right now.

3 Comments:

  • Oh how I agree with you.

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 2/10/2009  

  • We watched that movie once to preview for our Highschoolers. I won't watch it again and neither did they watch it to begin with. Your observations ring true.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2009  

  • Amen!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2009  

Post a Comment



<< Home