Prairie View

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Quote for the Day 3/17/2009

Louisa was here yesterday to get some help with planning a landscaping project.

Louisa: Have you been getting some sewing done while you're on sabbatical?

Me: Not yet. But I still need a new dress for Joel and Hilda's wedding, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to tackle it, or see if I want to pay Hannah to do it.

Louisa: You really don't like to sew, do you? If you did, you'd find a way to get it done.

Me: Well. . . I've always thought I liked it. I did a lot of sewing when I was pretty young. And I sewed for my boys when they were young. But I think it's harder to do when you don't do much of it. And the last years, I haven't had to do much of it, so I'm out of practice.
Actually the main thing that keeps me from sewing right now is that my sewing machine is in the repair shop. I dumped potting soil over it, and it needs cleaning.

Louisa (laughing) : Now that sounds like Mrs. I for sure.

I think Louisa's final comment was an analysis of priorities--not clumsiness or dexterity.

The potting soil incident was not deliberate. Really. I had a potted plant on the shelf behind and above the sewing machine. I don't remember how it happened, but I was there, doing something, when the plant tumbled forward right onto the sewing machine and made a colossal mess.

I do wonder, though, if I really and truly like sewing. Maybe not as much as I thought. Or maybe it's just that I'm always over-thinking things, and by the time I'm done figuring it all out, it feels like I've worked hard enough to deserve a rest before I tackle such an enormous job. It's a special affliction of ADD-prone individuals--thinking at the speed of light and working at the speed of molasses flow in January.

Sigh. Sometimes it's tough to be me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home