Prairie View

Friday, August 29, 2008

Quote for the Day 8/29/2008

Grant: Now don't be getting all organized.

Me: YES! I'm going to get all organized. (Gotta nip this resistance in the bud.) Let me show you my plan.

Grant: (Not deterred.) Putting underwear and socks away is a waste of time. Each of us is perfectly capable of finding what we need in the laundry basket.

Me: This drawer has yours and Dad's underwear. Your socks are in the top drawer. Whose are all these foot socks?

Grant: I keep all mine in this drawer. They're so small I'm trying to keep them from getting lost in the rest of the laundry.

I don't know if Grant caught the irony in this last assertion or not. But that concern is exactly why I am trying to create some order in the laundry/dressing room where all the male members of this family keep their clothes. We've got some empty drawers to move into now that Shane has moved out of them.

During this past week I have staged a massive dig-out in that room. I have unearthed a bushel of socks, and most of Shane's were already gone. I also found nearly that many men's undies, including a dozen nearly new ones that some family member decided he doesn't like for reasons I won't go into here. That volume can be explained only by people not knowing exactly where their clothes were, concluding that they don't have enough and need to buy new ones, and the subsequent purchase of "replacements." So much for being perfectly capable of finding what they need in a laundry basket.

I also am just now catching on to a pact that Hiromi and Grant made some time ago to buy the same sizes and kinds of some articles of clothing to save both of them some hassle with sorting their own out. "If it's clean, who cares?" is their explantion.

When Shane stopped by this morning I asked him to check for his clothes in the foot socks collection and a pile of shirts and pants that I had sorted out. When he saw the nearly empty clothes folding table he said, "It's really too bad this didn't happen before I sorted out most of my things. It would have made my life a lot simpler."

He's right of course. (Sigh of embarrassment here.)

The dressing room needed my sabbatical, even if Grant's hackles are rising at the prospect of facing a more organized future.

Things are just not my thing, but organized things are better than chaotic things.

******************************

Who is G.E.M.?

If you see him, tell him his gray W30, L XL Wrangler slacks are in our dressing room and I would love to return them to him. Everyone here has long since outgrown that size, and we have no use for them. (If I don't hear from the owner and they are your size, I'd be glad to hear from you too.)

2 Comments:

  • Well, my hubby is Gerald Eugene Miller, but I truly doubt he left any slacks at your house since he hasn't lived in KS for 13 years.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2008  

  • I wonder if his mom sold them at a garage sale some time and whoever bought them (maybe me) left them here. If I bought them, I have no idea where they've been all these years.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 8/29/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home