Prairie View

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Surviving a Walk

Have I ever mentioned that Hiromi really likes being caught up and prepared? Even daily fitness walks require careful preparation and vigilance.

Before we ever left the house, while I waited to walk, shoes on my feet and staff in my hand, (No wait. Just the shoes.) Hiromi discovered some spots inside the fridge where some of yesterday's meat marinade dripped out from the zippered bag where it lapped over the plate I had used to contain it. While I waited, he grabbed the dishrag and busily scrubbed off the spots. Now that is something I appreciate a great deal (except possibly when I'm already waiting on him).

When we stepped outside around 6:00 to go on our 30-minute walk, a skunk smell wafted by.

Hiromi: Skunk.

Me: The wind's from the south. Shall we go north this morning?

Hiromi: No. Let's go south. I've got a gun.

Me: What?!

Hiromi: I won't take any chances, in the dark, with crazy animals around.

Me: I don't want to take chances either. I'd just go the other way.

Hiromi's clandestine preparation all happened before he had stepped outside and smelled the skunk.

I personally am less afraid of the skunk than I am of the gun. And the skunk can probably afford to be less afraid of the gun than I am. It has a miniscule barrel-length and, at our house, everyone (including Hiromi) knows he has terrible aim with it.

When we got to the intersection south of our place. . . .

Hiromi: Let's go east. It's not as likely to be muddy on this road.

Me: Neither of these roads have been muddy for the last three days. (I don't think Hiromi's been on a dirt road since Sunday when the roads by the church were very sloshy. The memory has not faded. But we had far less rain here, and lots of sunshine to dry things off since then.)

Later. . . .

Hiromi: There's lots of mosquitoes on this road.

Me: At least there's a breeze to help.

Hiromi: (Later) That one got me. Desperate female. (He always uses the feminine gender when referring to insects--no special knowledge of insect behavior involved here.)

Those mosquitoes and one half-grown cottontail rabbit dashing out briefly into the roadway before dodging back into the roadside vegetation was as wild as our animal encounters got this morning. All the crazy animals must have sensed that gun Hiromi had and stayed away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home