Prairie View

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Quote for the Day 7/9/2008

Yesterday when I went to Dwight and Karen's house to get some sweet corn for fresh eating, their seven-year-old daughter Cindy helped me put it into a bag to take home. While this was happening she made conversation:

Cindy: Today we're having an Adam and Eve day.

Me: Oh. What makes it an Adam and Eve day?

Cindy: We're going to eat just fruits and vegetables.

I like the way this family teaches truth in the course of everyday life.

Think of all that's wrapped up in the term for this practice, probably happening only when the garden is in full production, and produce is abundant. That's a taste of how it was in the perfection of the Garden of Eden before sin entered the world.

Meat eating happened only after the fall. With sin came death, and the slaughter of animals. God did this to provide animal skins for man to use as a covering for the naked bodies that now caused shame. I don't know for sure when eating the flesh of animals began.

On Adam and Eve days, whether overtly or obliquely, Cindy's family remembers the story of God's provision, man's rebellion, and God's extended mercy. God showed Adam and Eve how to live in a fallen world. For them and now for Cindy's family, He gave many good gifts along the way--like sweet corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, cabbage, beets, onions, green beans, summer squash, and okra--all ready in the family's garden right now. What better way to remember the Giver and the gift than to have an Adam and Eve day?

I wish I had thought of it myself when my children were small.

1 Comments:

  • I just came over to visit after seeing your comment on Dorcas Smucker's blog. I love your story; I wish I could think of more creative ways to teach my kids biblical truths like that. Thanks for a great idea!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home