Prairie View

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Jaded Gardener

Yesterday my sister Lois and I attended the annual all-day Gathering for Gardeners organized by the Hutchinson Horticulture Club. In years past, I have passed many enthralled hours at these events, and learned a wealth of useful things to apply in my gardens and teach to my students. But yesterday I made a disconcerting discovery. I am becoming a slightly jaded gardening seminar participant.

I've been going to these things long enough that I recognized every one of the six speakers (except one) in the crowd, before they spoke. I have had conversations in the past with some of them, and know their names and each of their specialties in the state research and extension hierarchy or the academic field of horticulture. I even know some of the retired state "head honchos" in the state extension service. Some of the organizers of the event are old friends from the time I gave a presentation on growing cut flowers at one of the Horticulture Club's monthly meetings. I have the suspicion and conceited-sounding feeling none of them know so very much that I have a need to learn. That's not a very good humble-Mennonite-lady sentiment.

Maybe my jaded feeling is a result of the learned helplessness phenomenon. I've expended a lot of energy trying to survive a long winter with an unusually regular reappearance of snow, sleet, freezing rain, or any combination of the above. I'm more tired than usual of thinking about gardening and not being able to do a thing about it.

Sometimes people plant peas here in February. Today, on Mar. 2 we're expecting snow overnight. We've had so much rain today that it will be a long time before things dry out enough to work our gardens.

When I actually get my fingers into the soil again, I suspect I'll think of lots of things I wish I knew and don't--which will be good for restoring a more proper view of my own expertise. Maybe I'll even have to call on one of those experts I re-connected with at the Gathering for Gardeners. With the knowledge those people have gained from their years of studying, researching, and teaching, I sure that James, Debbie, Pam, Jerry, Ted, Pat, and Alan would have lots of help for me.

I think a few balmy spring days and a glimpse of green shoots where we planted all those daffodils at school last fall would effect an automatic positive attitude adjustment for me.

I wonder how humility and optimism in exactly the right amounts would feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home