Prairie View

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prodigal Son

Don't ask me why I felt compelled today to find out what ever happened to Franky Schaeffer, son of Francis and Edith Schaeffer.  I've read many books by both Francis and Edith, and have watched several film series in which Francis and Franky collaborated.  My philosopher brother attributes his early interest in philosophy to Francis Schaeffer.  He and my father and other young people from here attended a Schaeffer seminar in Texas during the 1970s.

The Schaeffers lived in Switzerland for many years.  Their home became a hub for young students from Europe and elsewhere who had questions about life.  Francis and Edith engaged these students, shared their home and their faith, and many embraced Christianity through the Schaeffers' witness.  Reading their writing inspired me to think deeply about my own faith and made me grateful for the solid rock I found in Christ.

Franky is now known as Frank.  Many of the other ways in which he is known are disappointing to me.  He makes no profession of Christian faith, although he attends a Greek Orthodox church.  He disparages Evangelicals and Fundamentalists in strong terms.  He supports gay rights and is pro-choice.  The Christian right is a favorite target.

He vilifies both of his parents, claiming to be offering a truthful expose'.   He also admits that he faked his faith for a very long time while he was making big bucks on the Christian speakers' circuit.  Some of the novels he has written are apparently largely biographical, containing gratuitous sexual content.

Franky fathered a child when he was 17.  He eventually married the child's mother, to whom he is still married at age 59.  That last fact may be the most admirable behavior attributed to Frank that I came across today.

Os Guinness, Christian apologist and author, lived in the Schaeffer home for three years.  He was like a member of the family, and served as best man when Franky got married.  Guinness'  perspective seems credible to me.

Guinness says that Frank does not represent his parents accurately.  While he acknowledges failures on their part, he believes Frank's characterizations to be wildly exaggerated.  Guinness says furthermore that Franky was spoiled.  He came along far behind his three older sisters, when his parents were already busy in the work that they would become famous for.  Franky was not properly disciplined and trained.

Frank calls Guinness a clone of his father.  He is not offering a compliment.

****************

I had one personal encounter with Frank Schaeffer.  At least I think I did.

I had attended an event in Pennsylvania where Francis Schaeffer was speaking.  During the intermission, when people were milling around in the foyer, a young man approached purposefully and asked me what I thought of Schaeffer's teaching.  I don't remember much of what I said, but I think I made approving noises and said also that I do not see eye to eye with him on Christians' involvement in government (Schaeffer saw it as a good thing).  I realized later that the man who had spoken to me looked like Franky Schaeffer.  I  knew he was there that evening, but he had not appeared on stage.

As I stated earlier, Frank Schaeffer now is highly critical of people following in the tradition of Reagan, George H. W. Bush and others with whom Frank and his father met and whom they tutored in how they might appeal to the Christian right.  It's an understatement to say that Frank does not see eye to eye with his father on Christians' involvement in government.  He makes fun of Christians who think it makes sense.  

I look back on my young self talking to Frank Schaeffer's young self and I marvel at my nerve--not because I'm ashamed of having thought or said what I did.  I marvel that I had enough confidence in that viewpoint to state "truth to power" (albeit small truth and small power) those 40 years ago.  I've learned a lot since then that has deepened my faith.  I'm sorry that what Schaeffer has learned since then has left him void of a personal relationship with God.  It's not likely that we'll ever meet again, but if we do, we might have to start out by talking about Christians and government.  On that point, we might find a bit of common ground.  Maybe that would open the door to sharing Christ with the prodigal son of Francis and Edith Schaeffer.


2 Comments:

  • Perhaps there is a reason Franky has apparently abandoned his parent's values. One could hardly call his early home life 'normal'. There have been allegations of ongoing sexual abuse involving a very young Franky and a house guest. God's grace was/is available for him; prayer for his healing may be our opportunity, responsibility even. Jo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2016  

  • Thanks for adding a piece to the puzzle--one that I had not come across. I certainly agree that he did not have a "normal" home life. I appreciate the reminder to pray for him. Whatever occurred in the past, the future now must involve his choice. Our prayers can help him make the right choice.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 4/24/2016  

Post a Comment



<< Home