Prairie View

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Amish College Portriats

I have a most extraordinary artistic record in my possession.  It features hand-drawn portraits of 62 individuals who are part of "Amish College," according to the identifying title.  I have unfortunately forgotten who created this work of art, but I assume it was one of my former students.  The portraits cover the front and back of a single sheet of pale pink paper.  I don't remember when I acquired it, which would tell me whether the creator was a resident of Ohio or Kansas.  If anyone can help out here I'll be glad to credit the artist properly.  Calling all former students . . .

Each portrait offers a side-view and is identified by name.

Coverings are apparently strongly encouraged for the women at this college.  Only Kathy Fender is missing one.  She must be a non-ethnic Amish College student who was given leeway.  Ways of wearing those coverings vary considerably--from Edna Overholt's perched-high covering to Jackie Graber's small barely-hanging-on one.  Jackie Graber is clearly the out-lier, however.  Most of the coverings sit comfortably on the head, with the upper leading edge roughly vertically aligned with the ear.  Hair buns of various sizes and shapes are visible inside the coverings.  Some coverings sport a lot of empty space "back there" and some buns fill nearly all the available territory.  Some "fetta-dales" are wide, as are some "boahdahs."  All coverings are tailored, with precise pleats--except for Malinda Wengard's.   I think hers has gathers.   The hair-dos--oh my! Puffy and swooped and draped softly and winched back and drawn downward.  Straight hair and curly hair.  No side parts are visible.

Among the young men, there are a few side parts.  Mutton chops and other prominent sideburns seem popular.  Not beards so much.  Only Crist Spiher, Roman Shwartz, Meno Creer, and Levi Rader have full-grown beards.  Amos Zook has stubble only.

One feature of interest on these portrait pages is the novel name spellings.  I can't tell whether the person who labeled the pictures is unusually creative or unusually ignorant of how these names are normally spelled.  I'll share the gems below:

Katie Birkshire
Julia Kiem
Malinda Wengard
Lidy Sherman
Mahalah Bixler
Saidy Putt
Murna Kauffman
Matie Swartzentruber
Crist Spiher
Lizzie Petershime
Pery Glick
Magie Gingrich
Lena Iher
Leona Kuns
Luke Kippher
Meno Creer
Birtha Bear
Jemimah Nicely
Anna Coblenze
Levi Rader
Gladas Shetler
Fannie Kiem
Hommer Dommer
Cledas Bender
Birtha Miller
Jake Curtz
Eli Detwilder
Francy Kline

The grins and chuckles from this paper helped compensate for my teeth-gritting hours of sorting through papers in boxes--the nemesis of my efforts to be orderly.

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

  • Now I want to see a picture (or the actual drawing)!

    By Anonymous Angela Schmucker, at 3/29/2016  

Post a Comment



<< Home