Prairie View

Monday, June 15, 2015

Elisabeth Elliot (1926-2015)

Elisabeth Elliot died today at the age of 88.  Her third husband, Lars Gren, survives, along with Elisabeth's only child, Valerie, and her husband and eight children.

I told Hiromi over supper tonight that when I grow up I want to be like Elisabeth Elliot.  He grinned and asked, "How?"  How indeed?  I had trouble answering.  She has been one of my favorite authors for years.  I first borrowed her books from the church library.  I can't remember all the titles, but I know I've read at least a half-dozen books written by Elisabeth Elliot--some of them written and read long after the early sixties when I read the books about missionary life in the Ecuadorian jungle.    

Today I listened to two of her speeches, recorded long before dementia in recent years stole much of her ability to think and speak.  I loved hearing her clear voice, her careful enunciation, and her easy-to-follow language.  Especially, I loved thinking about the simple truths from Scripture and from life that she shared.  Here is the link to those speeches.

Elisabeth Elliot has always seemed sensible and down-to-earth to me.  I met her personally once and spoke briefly to her, so my impressions are not entirely second-hand.  Somehow, in spite of her having had experiences far outside my own realm of experience, through her writing, I often found it easy to identify with what she was feeling and learning and how she viewed the world and other people.  That is certainly more a credit to her writing ability, humility, and honesty than an indication of any similarity between us.  I'm sure that many others felt the same way about her as I did.

Today, on the recordings, Lars spoke up in answer to a question from the audience.  Only then did it dawn on me that Elisabeth and I do have one thing in common--marriage to an American immigrant.  Lars is from Scandinavia--Norway, to be exact.

Elisabeth was old-fashioned in many ways, much preferring hymns to other kinds of Christian music, and supporting traditional gender roles all the way.  While she often spoke to  audiences of mixed genders, she did not believe in having women preach.  When she was introduced as Elisabeth Elliot in Wichita, where I heard her speak, she clarified that she uses that name primarily in writing--because that's how her publishers want it.  In private, she is known as Elisabeth Gren, and she signs her name that way, and it appears that way on her stationery.  None of this modern business of women keeping their old names after marriage.  She ended up with quite a list of consecutive surnames:  Howard, Elliot, Leitch, and Gren, but apparently claimed each one gladly.

I read several paragraphs today written by Steve Saint about "Aunt Betty."  His own father, Nate Saint, died in the same attack by Auca Indians that claimed the life of Jim Elliot, Elisabeth's first husband.  Steve wrote this on Facebook about Elisabeth:  She was usually very formal with the public (I think she was shy), but I remember telling her something about a boarding school we both went to and she laughed so hard I thought she was going to injure herself. She loved a good debate and could be somewhat argumentative.  This little snippet of information from someone who knew her well reinforces my impression of Elisabeth as being very down-to-earth.

Today Elisabeth has left behind all that is earthly, and no grief or infirmity can touch her.  I don't know for sure how all this works, but maybe she and Mom will get acquainted and enjoy each other's company.  That thought gives me comfort.

2 Comments:

  • I had not heard yet about Elisabeth's death though I knew she didn't have long. I remember with fondness the conversation I was able to have with both Lars and Elisabeth. They were both real, down-to-earth, genuine people - at least that was my impression.

    This makes me want to go back and reread my collection of Elisabeth's books.
    Gina

    By Blogger Gina, at 6/16/2015  

  • I too enjoyed reading books by Elizabeth Elliot tho I can't recall all those I read. In junior high I first heard about the five missionaries killed in Ecuador and was very inspired with the testimonies they left.

    By Blogger MaryAnn, at 6/18/2015  

Post a Comment



<< Home