Prairie View

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Where I Want to Go and What I Want to Do

This morning, after having seen pictures taken by extended family members vacationing in Greece, Hiromi asked me if there's any place I'd really like to go.  He added, "I don't have any such place."  This is entirely in keeping with his decidedly homebody tendencies.  I've often thought he must have used up his lifetime of travel enthusiasm on that three-week ocean voyage when he immigrated to the United States.

My first response was to say that I've stopped my mind from going "there" so often (because I knew there wasn't a chance it would happen) that I hardly know where I'd want to go.  After a moment's thought I added, "I'd like to see the places in Europe where my forefathers lived, and some of the places important in Anabaptist history.  All over the world, I'd love to see the people's gardens and eat the different foods."   I can't believe I forgot to mention BD, where some of those dearest to me reside.  Come to think of it, beautiful natural places nourish my spirit too.  I also forgot to  mention the Chartres Cathedral, an impression I remember from seeing slides in a college humanities class.  I was smitten with the images taken from the inside of that stained-glass-festooned place with the soaring architecture.

 In another conversation recently Hiromi commented on the phenomenon of death following soon after people quit their job and do nothing further.  "Sit on the couch and die," was his way of putting it.  He had talked to someone that day who used that as the explanation for taking a job after he retired from his original job--so that wouldn't happen to him.  Neither of us could imagine having nothing to do except sitting on the couch.

We went on to talk about how people who have always found pleasure only in physical activity have nothing fascinating left when old age or disability robs them of their physical strength.  In a caveat, I added that if a person at least has an earlier spark of an interest in a non-physical activity, old age can provide an opportunity to develop it.  I used photography as an example for myself.  I've often wanted to  capture beautiful images I see, especially in nature, but seldom take pictures of any kind.  I don't have good equipment, and I would have to do a lot of learning to figure out how to use good equipment.  Maybe someday I'll do that.  For now, I describe beautiful things inside my head so I can remember.

I also love the design stage of patchwork, as in quilt tops.  Maybe I'll do more of that someday.

I can't remember if Hiromi asked me or if I volunteered what I knew I really wanted to do in a good  old age.  What I talked to Hiromi about was general.  "I'm more of a homebody than I used to know," I said.  "I really think, though, that I would need to somehow stay in touch with living things here at home, and making things beautiful around me.  I would want to stay involved with the community, investing in making life good for other people, and I want to learn from others and be a part of their lives."   Hiromi listened politely, but did not offer his own list.

At the ages of 62 and 69, it's probably not too early to contemplate such matters, but for now, there's a weedy patch in the circle drive that's calling me.  Hiromi is busy today swapping out the engine on his riding mower.  I guess both of these things fit in with part of my old-age plan--making things beautiful here at home.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home