Prairie View

Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Snow Day Thankful List

--It's a snow day.  No school.

--A lot of snow is piling up, bringing much needed moisture.  It's hard to know how much we've had, but I'm guessing 10-12 inches, with heavy snow still falling at 9:00.  

--Hiromi was not scheduled to work today, so we're both home.

--We have electricity and heating fuel.  I'm still glad that the kerosene lamp is filled, and has a new wick and a clean chimney.

--The birds are finding their feed--safflower seed for the cardinals and Harris' Sparrows, suet for the woodpeckers,  thistle seed for the finches, millet for the juncos, and mixed seed for the flocks of mixed sparrows--and I'm having fun watching them.

--We have bread and milk and eggs and meat and potatoes and many other food supplies.  Also popcorn.

--I have snow boots that fit me.

--I wasn't in that black pickup that went by at a high rate of speed this morning.  It was the only vehicle I saw, except for a snowplow.

--Hiromi had the presence of mind to have our vehicles parked near the end of the drive, to minimize the need for shoveling to get onto the road.

--Shane got home from OK in the semi last night, before the heaviest snow.

--Shane's skid steer is in the shed, and we have mechanical options for clearing the drifts from the drive.  OK, scratch that. I just found out that Shane left the house at 1:30 AM to clear snow off parking lots in Hutchinson.  So I assume that's where the skid steer and its driver are now--not in the shed.

--Grant and Clarissa signed papers on a house yesterday--Jay and Lisa Y.'s former home along 61 near Partridge, to the west.  I'm very happy for them.  Old timers like me will remember it as the former site of a roadside park, with Jay and Lisa having wielded their magic in making it an attractive home site.

--14 of the 18 written reports on To Kill a Mockingbird came in yesterday, and I can work on grading them.

--The resident Welsh Corgis seem  undaunted at the need to plow snow with their chest if they want to be out and about.  Those short little legs aren't built for snow storms.

--What we have here is a snow storm--not a blizzard.  The highest wind speeds I "saw" were 29 MPH gusts.  It has to be 30 MPH to qualify as a blizzard.

--We had plenty of warning for this storm, and time to prepare.

--The snow is beautiful, and I can't stop watching it fall and drift and settle.

--It's a snow day.  No school.  (Did I already mention this?)



2 Comments:

  • What a glorious day indeed!!! I only wish I had my PA snow boots!! I sold them before I moved, since it didn't sound like there would be any use for them on the Kansas plains. I am delighted that God answered my plea for snow in such a marvelous way! To say that I LOVE snow would be an understatement!!!! A great day to be alive!!!

    By Anonymous Glenda, at 2/21/2013  

  • Yes!! It is an amazing gift!

    ~Susanna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2013  

Post a Comment



<< Home