Prairie View

Friday, May 25, 2012

Farmer's Market 5/19/2012

The first farmer's market of the season was amazing in various ways:  number of vendors, number of customers, and variety of products.  I remember other "first days" when we shivered inside warm coats and could hardly wait till it was time to go home.  At some of those times, vendors had little more than lettuce, spinach, radishes, and onions to sell, along with rhubarb and asparagus. This year all those things were present, except I don't remember seeing asparagus.  In addition, there was Chinese cabbage, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, turnips, daikon, new potatoes, beets, snow peas, zucchini, and yellow summer squash.

People were also selling plants, meat, baked goods, jams and jellies, and various handmade items--and flowers (me).  Shane's first day's meat sales were equivalent to a good day's sales later in the year last year.

Jeannie Neujahr, who is the very tiny wife of the president of the market board, belted out "The Star Spangled Banner" with great volume and gusto as she has every year recently, during the opening ceremonies.  I'm always amazed that she can do that.  It sounds good.

The Sunday Hutchinson News carried a Farmer's Market article that covered more than half the page.  I hadn't spotted the photographer or reporter at the market until the reporter greeted me by name while I was browsing in the booth of another vendor.  Even then I thought she was shopping, just as I was.  We visited for a bit, and I learned that she knew my cousin Duane from Colorado Springs.  Duane and her son are friends, and Duane works for a newspaper as Kathy Hanks does.  She had done an article about my flowers as part of an "Art on the Prairie" series she was writing when she first moved to Hutchinson about eight years ago.  We talked about this year's flowers, and at one point she said, "I'll have to put that in my article" as she reached for her notebook.  That was my first clue that she was there on assignment.  She quoted  me--well, almost.  It wasn't an exact quote, but it made sense.  Here's what my few lines said:  " . . . Saturday's market . . . included . . . Miriam Iwashige"s delicate cuttings of Larkspur and other cottage variety flowers.  'I always bring Sweet William, but it has already come and gone,' Iwashige said.

I wish I could always bring Sweet William, but I can't.  What I said was that I always like to have Sweet William for the first bouquets, but this year it has already come and gone.

I do the same thing with quotes that Kathy does.  I do my best to remember exact words, but sometimes I settle for the meaning of what was said and still put it in quotes.  I'm not sure that this is a good idea, but I reason that I don't do it to deceive, and sometimes quotes really fit much better than an explanatory approximation..


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home