Prairie View

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Grant's Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Grant's two jobs are both seasonal, and this winter he's been wishing for more work. So he was happy to hear that Stutzman's Refuse Disposal was hiring some temporary help to distribute special poly carts for collecting recyclables. Grant was hired, and appeared on the front page of the Hutchinson News today, doing his job. Check it out here.

I'm still hoping for a burst of inspiration on his part to finish those three paces he still needs to do to earn his high school diploma. This winter's downtime is precisely the kind of situation I've been visualizing as the perfect time to get that done. This visualization is not shared by everyone in the household, apparently. It's true, of course, that none of his jobs requires a high school diploma. But I worry about a time in the future when he may be desperate for a job that does require a diploma. I can't image that digging out those high school paces at that point would be any more appealing than it is now.

He's quite capable of handling difficult challenges and doing excellent school work. So what's the holdup?

I wish I knew. Then again, I wouldn't really need to know, if the work would just get done. Sigh.

2 Comments:

  • I wish we had trash service just so I could seperate the recycles.

    3 Paces? Are you serious? What would that take..... 2 days? a week?

    Jessica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/05/2010  

  • I want to say, "Grant, if my sickly daughter can finish those last few Paces, so can you! Go for it, rah rah, etc etc." But I have a feeling this would neither help nor be appreciated so I'll just be quiet and send you sympathetic motherly vibes.

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 2/07/2010  

Post a Comment



<< Home