Prairie View

Friday, January 08, 2010

Mango Beans

True or False question on Food Production quiz I gave students yesterday, after a lesson in the previous class on producing edible sprouts:

Mango bean sprouts are popular in Asian foods.

Everyone in the class answered "true," except Marvin, who thought it should be "Italian" foods instead of Asian. He got the right answer using the wrong logic. Heidi also got the answer right today, after having missed class and the quiz yesterday.

It is, of course, mung beans that are used for sprouts.

I had talked about mung beans in class, and my puzzlement about how long commercially produced sprouts always are--in contrast to my home-produced ones. I had given them a handout with a detailed chart of how the nutrient content of mung beans changes when they are sprouted. I did not ask a single detailed question on the nutrient content of mung bean sprouts, but I did hope they knew what to call the thing we were talking about and reading about. So I did not take a great deal of pity on those who cried "foul" when they realized their mistake on the quiz. The m and n and g are the same they reminded me hopefully.

I'm still having fun trying to imagine what a mango bean might look like.

2 Comments:

  • I wish I could find the beans somewhere. I'm sure I can figure out how to sprout them. What do you look for in the store. There are a large number of stores nearby, so I'm sure availability is not a problem

    By Blogger espĂ­ritu paz, at 1/09/2010  

  • They are tiny round green seeds, about 1/4 the size of peas. I buy them in a bulk food store, and they are called mung beans. You might also check in a natural foods store. I'm finding that there's a little more to sprouting these than alfalfa seeds, at least if you want any size to the sprouts, without resorting to gas and chemicals, as the commercial suppliers do. The sprouts don't like to be jostled when rinsed--let them form a solid mat in the bottom of a perforated container, and they grow longer with some weight on the top while they're growing. I'm experimenting with a salad spinner as a sprouting container, and plan to weight the sprouts with a plate.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 1/09/2010  

Post a Comment



<< Home