Prairie View

Friday, January 08, 2010

For Local Farmers

Kit Pharo, from Pharo Cattle Company in eastern Colorado, is speaking at a conference in McPherson on Saturday, Jan. 23. Anyone in the area who has an interest in producing beef cattle would enjoy hearing him speak. I've posted more information on this event at school, on the back of some of the student offices facing the school entrance. I wish some of the students in my food production class would go to the event, but I suspect the $35.00 fee is a hindrance, and perhaps more significantly, it might make it impossible to sleep in on that Saturday.

I've been getting the email newsletters the Pharos produce ever since my brother Ronald told me about them. Earlier I had heard my dad and farmer brothers talking about their philosophy.

Kit Pharo is a kindred spirit to Joel Salatin. I don't know if they've ever met, but I hear some of the same philosophy coming through from both of them, especially with regard to pasture feeding rather than fattening animals in confinement. They are both Christians and seem to have similar political views.

I'm always interested especially in food production models that are feasible on smaller acreages. The smaller cattle (Angus, Hereford, and Tarentaise) that are produced by Pharo cattle company have many traits that focus on "optimum" production rather than "maximum" production. Among other things, they are generally easy to handle, very hardy, and able to grow and produce well on forage only. The Pharos select for mid-to-low-range frame scores, rather than high scores. In other words, they are shorter cattle, not necessarily less muscled.

An internet search on Pharo Cattle company will lead you to their website where you can learn more details about their cattle and their philosophy. Look on Kansas Rural Center's site for more details on the upcoming meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home