Prairie View

Friday, October 16, 2009

Quote for the Day 10/16/2009

On our trip to the Christian School Convention in Kansas City--

Darrell (to me) : Shane told me in Colorado that he's trying to be a little more like his Mom--crass in a diplomatic way. I thought that was pretty funny. I've never seen that side of you.

Say it ain't so.

Do you think Shane needs a vocabulary lesson?

Diplomatic. I'm clinging to the hope that he knows what that means. He definitely needs enlightenment on that other word.

********************

I am pleased to say that if I snored in that hotel room with three young ladies besides me, I didn't hear it or hear about it. Hiromi says I don't snore, so that's reassuring.

I enjoyed the meetings much more than I did the last time I went, two years ago. The workshops I took were worthwhile, although I belatedly realized that I chose one workshop that I took before--same title, same presenter. It was on writing a "story that is not boring" ( I thought the blurb could have used a bit of editing.), given by the sister-in-law of the man who wrote Stone Fox.

Having a poor memory presents lots of deja vu opportunities like the one at today's workshop.

*********************

Christian apologist Josh McDowell was the keynote speaker--only he was in the hospital having a stent installed on the morning of his first scheduled presentation. His son, Sean, stood in for him, and did a very good job with the assignment. He is a high school teacher in San Diego.

I think the person who introduced him was onto something when he observed that now Sean is known as Josh McDowell's son. But he suspects that some day Josh may be known as Sean's father.

*********************
Last night when we got back to our hotel after dark, from the parking lot we saw one room on the second floor with the lights on and the curtains flung wide. Perched right next to the window was Darrell's lunch box, clearly identifiable from below.

Three men occupied that room, all of them apparently used to letting someone else worry about little things like turning off the lights and adjusting the curtains. They're all good teachers, and I guess no one can be good at everything.

2 Comments:

  • Oh, the "mom moment"! :) I suggest a vocabulary lesson. After all, sometimes we think we know what a word means.

    By Blogger bettyhershberger, at 10/17/2009  

  • I debated over leaving this comment, but thought I should clarify that Norma and I both heard some snoring. However, we couldn't identify the one snoring...and it didn't keep us awake!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/17/2009  

Post a Comment



<< Home