Prairie View

Friday, October 02, 2009

Quote for the Day 10/2/2009

In a conversation today between Heidi and Miriam, the little five-year old girl (Number ten in a family of ten) who had accompanied her mother when she brought hot lunch to school:

Heidi: Are you all alone at home while everyone else is in school?

Miriam: No. I'm there, and my mom is there, and lots of babies.

She had brought one of them, Abby, along today. Abby went to the typing room with big brother David, and then sat under the table for a while in front of the serving window. During lunch she lay on the table where Miriam and her parents and the other teachers and I were eating. We learned then that when Miriam's daddy found Abby on the sidewalk recently, Abby went to foster care for a few days till her real mother could care for her properly again. I told Miriam that Abby was lucky that her daddy found her before a dog like Max found her.

Heidi: Is Brenda your only other sister?

Miriam: No. Anna. And ____________ , but she's running away from God.

Heidi: Oh. That's really sad. Do you pray for her?

Miriam: Yes. I wish she wouldn't run away from God.

And that's how the conversation went for most of the first period after lunch. I was pretty sure Heidi was operating on the principle I overheard her share with one of only two other people who were not in class that hour: "Don't ask," she said, when Marvin sounded like he was going to ask something about how privilege level this Friday relates to having said Bible memory before last Friday. So Heidi and Miriam chatted privately a long time, there at one end of the cavernous, forsaken learning center, while Marvin and Louise went off to finish their lab, and I busily recorded composition quiz scores--Heidi conveniently not asking if hers was the expected behavior. And I conveniently ignored them. I wouldn't have known the answer to the technical privilege question anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home