Prairie View

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hiromi's Prayer

On the morning of Joel and Hilda’s wedding–

Me: Have you thought about what you will say in your opening prayer?

Hiromi: Yeah. Real simple. Eternal Father–Adonai, Elohim . . . .

Me: You’re going to say that?

Hiromi: Sure.

Me: What does it mean?

Hiromi: Almighty Father. No. Mighty Father.

Me: I think you’d better say that. Otherwise it’d just be showing off–if people don’t understand Hebrew.

Hiromi: OK. Can you write down what I should say?

Miriam: You tell me what you want to say, and I’ll make suggestions if I think it could be improved.

This is what he said:

Our eternal Father, Adonai, Elohim, we acknowledge you as God Almighty, and praise you for being Who you are.

Thank you for this occasion. We pray for your blessing on this service, and on Joel and Hilda’s marriage. Thank you for bringing this group of people together. We commit ourselves to you.

In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home