Prairie View

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quote for the Day 1/11/2009

Joel ( stuffing too many papers and other things into a tote in preparation for moving) : Hilda loves to sort and organize papers. I think that sounds like a marriage made in heaven.

Yesterday Hilda, Hiromi, and I helped move Joel into the house just vacated by Shane and Dorcas, who moved to Colorado for 18 months. Before they left, they had emptied the contents from the living area of the house, packing it into plastic tubs in the basement or taking it with them. The furniture was an exception.

Besides clothes from the laundry dressing room, most of what we moved for Joel had been packed in big totes--the four-foot-long ones that are about 18 inches wide and deep--real back- breakers when filled with heavy things like books and papers. Joel is a bibliophile (my word for the day), so there were a number of these big totes--maybe eight or ten. Besides the big totes, which we stacked in the guest room, we stowed two towers of stackable plastic drawer units in the closet.

A well- furnished "new" house, with the prospect of a wife to join him after April 11--life is good for Joel at the moment. Remembering that helps stave off the nostalgia I feel about him having left home for good.

All three of the basement bedrooms are empty now since Shane, Victor, and Joel have moved out. They weren't Better Homes and Gardens beautiful to begin with, and now they look downright desolate. I haven't had the gumption to clean any of them properly, which doesn't help their appearance a bit. j

I don't want to go back, but I think I'll need to gain just a little more mental and emotional traction before I can move forward very efficiently. I guess I need a "marriage made in heaven," to someone who's good at making left-behind emptiness seem OK. Wait. That person would be Hiromi and I'm already married to him. Good for us.

1 Comments:

  • I was happily surprised to see Shane and Dorcas in Colorado this past weekend. I had known Dorcas before but not Shane, but I told him I feel like I already know him through your blog. He had obviously heard that before.
    I feel for you, with the emptying nest.

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 1/12/2009  

Post a Comment



<< Home