Prairie View

Monday, December 01, 2008

Quotes for the Day 12/1/2008

From the person ahead of me ordering food in the hospital cafeteria:

Family Member: I'd like the shrimp [deep-fat fried] and French Fries. (Turning to me) See how this goes? My mother's in here today for three by-passes.

Inaudible comment from another family member--

First Family Member: I eat my vegetables. I had a salad the other day.

**********************

Contemplating how to dispatch the skunk that keeps appearing at the cat dish in the open garage right next to the house--

Grant: Do they spray if you shoot 'em in the head?

Joel: This [skunk] adds a layer of complication, doesn't it?

Grant: Yeah. They fight back.

**********************

I had my every-six-months dental check-up and teeth cleaning today. I explained briefly to my hygienist what necessitated my postponing the appointment two weeks ago--the day of Mom's heart catheterization. I mentioned that her surgeon was happy to know that she has dentures, to minimize the possibility of infection traveling from infected teeth to her heart.

Young Hygienist: My brother had to have a heart valve replaced. It was defective and then got infected from his teeth.

This is one good reason to keep dental needs taken care of. (It's a little hard to feel good about this on the day when I was told I have decay under an old cracked filling. The tooth needs a crown that costs more than a thousand dollars, about half of it covered through Hiromi's employee insurance.)

Mom's surgeon said he sometimes has to wait to operate until a patient has been to the dentist.

************************

Gray-haired woman to raven-haired woman facing away from me at the receptionist's desk: Mother, would that be all right?

(When I saw both of their faces, I could tell that the gray-haired woman was obviously younger.)

************************

At a framing shop--

Me: I'd like to know how much it would cost to have this batik piece framed. I want the fabric stretched over a frame and stapled underneath.

Frame Shop Employee: $58.80.

Me: Thank you. I'll need to think about that some more.

I went to another part of the store and found some wood pieces to make my own frame. They cost a little over $6.00.

Mom and Dad bought the "painting" from a street vendor in Kenya a number of years ago. I found it behind the chest of drawers when we cleaned their bedroom recently. It was beautiful, but sagged sadly on the cardboard it was taped to.

I learned how to do batik when I took an art class in college, and I have a lot of appreciation for the skill of the person who did the zebras, grass, and trees in Mom and Dad's picture.

Painting involves applying colors with a brush. With batik, the colors are applied by dipping the whole fabric piece into a dye bath. The design appears on the fabric by applying wax with a brush, always over any dye color that is to be preserved in the final design. Every new color calls for dipping into a different dye bath. It takes careful planning to do the dye bath dipping and wax brushing in the right sequence.

***********************

Joel: Did you see the planets right next to the moon?

Me: No.

Joel: Come look. You can see a little earth shine too.

Me: It's beautiful. . . . What planets are they?

Joel: Jupiter and Venus.

Me: When I did my student teaching, Hiromi always picked me up at school after he finished work at the hospital. We'd drive home in the dark, west on 50 and west on Clark Road, and Venus was always bright in the western sky. It was this time of year--the last eight weeks before Christmas.

*********************

Later, coming in from outdoors with his 22, after having shot at a skunk, and then not having been able to find it dead where he thought it would be--

Grant: If I had known he'd stink anyway, I'd have shot him with the shotgun. They're so black it's hard to tell where the head is. What you want to do is shoot it through the lungs. Then they don't spray. They just die.

(The house is permeated with a rich aroma. . . .)

Grant: I like possums. They're slow and stupid and they die when you shoot 'em. Skunks have artillery. . . .

1 Comments:

  • Hi Miriam, I had heard about your mother's surgery and tonight I got to read your blog and appreciate your writing. It brings back memories of my mother and mother in laws hospital days. We are so blessed with excellent medical help-but above all, our Great Physician Jesus Christ.Praying for you and your mother and father.
    Love,
    Ruth Troyer

    By Blogger Ruth Troyer, at 12/03/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home