Prairie View

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Quote for the Day 1/8/08

When I was three or four years old, after church, coming to stand next to my father as he visited with others--

Dad (Pausing in his visiting) : What do you want?

Me (Probably feeling shy) : Nothing.

Dad: You won't be able to find that here.

Perry Lee, who is famous in these parts for his astounding memory, told me this story in the presence of my composition class.

******************************

Today, while I stayed at school with the four students who had not earned the field trip--

Telephone rings.

Me: Pilgrim High School. This is Miriam.

Ryan: Mrs. I, some of us are disagreeing about whether it's Cara-BEE-un or Kuh-RIB-ee-un. We decided to ask you.

Me: Well, I've heard it both ways. Just a minute. I'll look it up.

(Pause. Shuffling of pages.)

Me: It's either way.

Ryan: OK. Thank you.

I can only imagine what that particular field trip lunch time argument was all about.

P.S. Those (all three girls and one guy) who stayed behind had a good time. I was unsustainably lenient with them, and asked them not to brag to the other students about anything they were allowed to do. Tomorrow must be business-as-usual, after all.

*********************

Yesterday, in the first Anabaptist History class session of the year:

Me: At the end of your study guide, there may be a Questions for Discussion section. I want you to write something down for each of these questions, so that you'll have something to contribute in class. (Slight pause.) Come to think of it, I can't quite imagine this class not having anything to contribute to a discussion.

(General laughter.)

This year's juniors have a reputation for being more opinionated and talkative than average. At least they're good sports about being reminded of it.

I think there are good times ahead.

1 Comments:

  • From our side of the conversation, the humor was completely different. We got our kicks and giggles from one of Ryan's comments that went sortof like this, "We could look it up in the dictionary, or we could just call Mrs. I; she would know."

    What do you know, we call Mrs. I and she tells us what she thinks, (she's right of course) and then she looks in the dictionary as well. So, both of our options worked out for us with very little hassle and many good laughs. . . :)

    What a life!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/08/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home