Prairie View

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cluelessness on Display

If anyone was observing me this morning for signs of cluelessness, I'm sure their logbook contained an entry something like this: Not aware of surroundings. Behavior irrational. Needs monitoring.

Before I left home this morning I had trouble latching the side door on my minivan. It didn't thunk as satisfyingly as usual when I heaved as usual. But I hoped for the best and started off. As I rounded the last curve on our U drive, the door came to life and let go of its precarious moorings. A blast of cold air swept in and a gaping hole appeared in the door opening. Oh fooey. I'll have to stop and latch that door again. But as I slowed down to check for traffic on the road, the door did the right thing and slid forward into its rightful position again. Conscientious person that I am, I got out anyway and walked around to close the door properly. Still no satisfying thunk.

As soon as I pulled onto the road, that mocking door triumphantly exposed the van's innards again. I looked up to see two trucks pulled off at the crossroads nearby. It was electrical linemen, with their windshields facing the open right side of my vehicle. I thought fast and pulled to the side of the road right in front of them and did the walk-around maneuver again--just to let them know that I was not oblivious to my problems. I'm sure it quickly became clear that I was helpless, however, when the door swooped toward the back as I pulled away.

On my way to the church where I needed to do some photocopying, I met several people I knew, hoping things looked normal to them, and hoping no one was looking out the windows of the houses on the right side of the road. Right on cue, the door opened as I sped up and closed as I slowed down. Fortunately the ground was frozen, saving my minivan's interior from mud spatters.

From the church I went straight to the body shop and reported that the sliding door on my minivan was behaving very badly. "Pull it in right at this first door," Henry told me matter-of-factly as he went to open the door and then call Willis to come to my rescue.

Willis opened and closed the door over and over, watching carefully, and sprayed lubricant, and moved the catch at the back of the opening, and reached into the door's mysterious openings and flicked tiny metal pieces into slightly different positions, and . . . presto! Twenty minutes and fifteen dollars and forty-one cents later I was on my way. I got to school (where the copier did not work) in time to answer a multitude of composition questions, take a picture for the yearbook with the home environment class and then take those students on the field trip in my van as planned.

With only a few minor eruptions in other departments, my cluelessness stayed safely hidden away for the rest of the day.

Praise God for Quality Body Shop and Henry and Willis.

1 Comments:

  • Thank God for someone that answers our composition questions.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/20/2007  

Post a Comment



<< Home