Prairie View

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Paradigms and Ulcers

Have you ever had to bite your tongue when someone complains about a situation or puzzles over a problem that you think you know the answer to--but you can't say what you know, for whatever reason? Or you hear another person confidently asserting and defending a narrow point of view on an issue that you know is actually quite complex, and expressing an openness to learning further would be appropriate? I'm especially wary of "The secret is . . ." statements. I think very few things in life are unlocked by only one "key." That is, success doesn't turn on doing just one thing exactly right. It's almost always the result of a succession of things done right, some of them perhaps done so accidentally.

I recognize in myself tendencies to fall into each of the traps that I see others ensnared in--not looking in the right place for answers, talking when I should be listening and learning, thinking in narrow, restricted terms, and considering the case closed too early--but when I am most intentional about arriving at truth I have a routine of sorts. I believe this routine serves me well when I remember to follow it.

I like to start by listing, mentally at least, the things I know for sure. My starting place is Scripture. Sometimes it takes a lot of digging to learn what is there, what it means, and how it applies. The search sometimes extends over many months or years, but I keep looking, and have discovered many treasures this way.

The second thing I try to do is observe carefully. I watch how choices or courses of action play out over the long term, and in reading and in listening to people I learn what is taking place in others' experience. I like hearing from professionals, but I maintain a sense of skepticism regarding professional opinion. I don't take the conventional wisdom in my own profession (education) too seriously. I'm aware that "When you have a hammer in your hand everything begins to look like a nail," and looking at everything through the lens of a single profession can be limiting. Documented research is useful many times. This kind of information is not as unassailable as Scripture because the reporting comes through the lens of peoples' biases, but it is useful nevertheless.

I try to fit new information into the paradigms I'm familiar with, or see how the familiar paradigms might need to be changed or discarded. Perhaps examining the shifts in understanding one specific problem will illustrate how this works. This one has changed within my memory and, to my knowledge, has the status of almost universal consensus.

One medical example where the prevailing paradigm has shifted dramatically in the past few decades is the understanding of what causes stomach ulcers. I remember the time when people thought ulcers were caused by stress, and perfectionist or hard-driving types of people were the ones likely to be afflicted. It was thought to be best treated by avoiding spicy or greasy foods.

Now, it's known that H. pylori is a bacteria that can settle in the stomach and cause ulcers. My 11-year-old happy-go-lucky niece improved tremendously in a hurry after one round of antibiotics when they discovered that her ongoing discomfort was caused by an H. pylori infection.

The earlier way of seeing the cause of stomach ulcers in a "mind-affecting-the-body" paradigm turned out to be largely beside the point. "Bacteria causes stomach ulcers" now seems like a much more useful paradigm. But what if that is not the last useful paradigm in understanding stomach ulcers? I especially deplore the view of ulcers that concentrates only on developing ever-more-precisely-aimed pharmaceutical "bullets" to target ulcers. Why not look for how ulcers can be prevented? For this, perhaps the H. pylori/ulcer paradigm is insufficient.

I think it's very likely that, in the future, an even broader understanding of what causes ulcers will make the "bacteria" paradigm look obsolete or at least incomplete. Some of the possibilities I think of are genetic predispositions, effects of environmental toxins on the immune system, nutritional deficits, and even effects of stress. I include that last item for several reasons, one of them being the fact that this was often observed in people who were known to be intense or under a lot of stress, and I think it must mean something.

From Scripture, I understand several things that help put stomach ulcers into perspective. I know, for example, that ulcers are a result of the Fall, when sin entered the world. I know furthermore that God has provided ways for us to deal with the results of the fall, but that final redemption must wait until we enter heaven. I also know that continual violation of God's laws exacts a penalty, and a failure to trust God, or an unhealthy desire to control circumstances or other people, or living a wildly out-of-balance life may carry a hefty price tag in terms of compromised health. I know God hears our prayers and answers according to His will. If we're suffering and God wills deliverance for us, He will provide it if we ask.

So if I ever have any reason to suspect that stomach ulcers are the cause of pain for me or anyone I'm responsible for, I'll rue again the day the perfect world God made was corrupted by sin, and I'll think ahead to heaven where ulcers are barred from entry. I'll know to check with God to see if any of His laws are being violated. I'll pray for wisdom and healing from God. I'll get a doctor's diagnosis. I'll follow recommendations on taking medication. I'll take the nutritional supplements I believe to be necessary for supporting wellness. As much as possible, I'll avoid ingesting harmful substances. And I'll keep my ears tuned for any snippets of information that belong in the "ulcer" paradigm I'm still in the process of developing.

The paradigm discussion here has focused on ulcers as an example. But it could just as well have explored any other medical condition, or mental illness, education strategies, Christians and government, agricultural practices, man-made designs and structures, weather anomalies, relationships between people, running organizations, the process of creativity, measures of success--or anything you've ever pondered.

In every area of inquiry, operating within an appropriate paradigm ought to be the first order of business. The next step should be to determine not to close the investigation prematurely, always maintaining an openness to needful paradigm adjustments. With these strategies in place, the adventure of learning can safely commence.

And now, in keeping with what I've outlined above, I'm ready to listen to other people's ideas on how to discover truth, how to keep necessary things settled and stir up questions where complacency is counter-productive, and how to glorify God in all our endeavors. What are you thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home