Prairie View

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Answered Prayer

During the past few weeks, we have experienced a flurry of light bulbs burning out. In addition, on Saturday, one of two breakers in a fuse box on the meter pole tripped, and about half of the lights in the house were affected.

When Hiromi took down the recessed light fixture in the bathroom ceiling to change the bulb, he found the old bulb shattered, its litter scattered across the glass "bottom" of the fixture.

Hiromi is no ignoramus when it comes to electrical matters.  He once worked as the foreman of an electrical crew that did the needed work on a six-story building, so he knows something about how these systems work.  He could not figure out what the problem might be with our electricity, however, but clearly something was amiss.

I worried only briefly about fire danger from an electrical short somewhere before I remembered to pray that God would show us what was wrong.  Ignorant as I am about electricity, I think I may have discovered the answer today.

Lots of big equipment descended today on the soybean field surrounding our property--so many pieces that at first I did not notice the "cherry-picker" truck parked on the road.  When the collection of trucks and tractors thinned out enough, I decided to collect the mail from the box.  I got out just in time to see the driver of the truck on the road finishing the process of tucking his equipment inside the truck in preparation for leaving.  On a sudden impulse, I marched up to the truck just as he was ready to get in and drive off.

"Was there a problem with the power line?"  I asked. He told me that he had just re-fastened the lightening arrestor that had come loose from the pole.

"Could that have affected our power supply in the house?"  I asked.  I went on to tell him about the light bulbs burning out and the breaker at the pole tripping, and our unsuccessful efforts to pinpoint the cause of the problems.

"I suppose it's possible that this might have caused power surges that created those problems,"  he observed.  Then he suggested that we might take note if the problem seems to be fixed after this.

I told him we had prayed for an answer to our electrical problem, and I thanked him for answering my questions.  I went back to the house with the mail and the lineman drove off, after turning around in our driveway.

Tonight at the supper table, Hiromi asked me if this is what I'm thankful for today*, and I said yes.  It was an answer not only to the prayer about the electrical puzzle, but for my prayer that the Lord would send me encouragement today.  The Father's care shone brightly in the "all in a days work" actions of one lineman.  Thank you God.

*As part of developing good sleep habits (by reducing stress) we've begun the habit of reflecting each day on what we are thankful for.  We share at the supper table what we've thought of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home