Prairie View

Monday, October 05, 2015

Canning Concord Grapes

This year, for the first time in my memory, I canned Concord grapes for juice.  I have usually not had access to grapes at an economical price, but this year someone in the community had them shipped in from New York, and sold them for $11.00 per half bushel.  They were delicious.  If only we could have eaten them fresh a little faster there would have been none left to can.  Partly because my canning jars were nearly all full, I decided to attempt to can a grape juice concentrate, rather than go by the recipe I found online, which called for 1 1/3 cups grapes to each jar and 1/3 cup sugar.  The jars were to be filled with boiling water.  By multiplying that by three, I came up with a recipe that called for 4 cups grapes and 1 cup sugar per jar.  I reasoned that when I open the jar I can simply add two jars of water and have just the right concentration of fruit  juice and sugar in the final beverage.  the sugar ended up taking up so much space that I probably didn't quite get 4 cups of grapes into the jar.

Something I did not anticipate happened, however, and I need help figuring out why.  The contents seemed to expand during processing, and, besides bubbling over enough to color the canner water purple, they continued to bubble after I took them out of the canner.  The tea towel and counter on which I placed the jars are both stained purple.  What's up with this?  Thankfully the jars all sealed.

The sugar did not all dissolve either.  Each jar has a layer of sugar on the bottom.

I need help from grape canning veterans?  Do you use a syrup?  Do you cook the grapes before putting them in the jars?  Is the sugar layer on the bottom normal?  Is my recipe at fault?  Is trying for a concentrate not a good idea?

I thought I was being smarter than my mom (who thought she was also being smarter than her mom) by making a concentrate.  My mother said that her mother used to put one cup of grapes and one cup of sugar in each quart jar before filling it with boiling water.  My mom halved the sugar and still put in one cup of grapes.  My recipe calls for even less sugar than my mom's, and calls also for more grapes per jar.  Does anyone from grape growing country wish to share their methods and recipe?

I hope that some time in the future we'll have grapes from our own vines.  In the meantime, I'll be a customer if the Troyers on Red Rock Road bring in New York grapes again next year--and if I can figure out how to do the canning right.

7 Comments:

  • If you lived close by, I would let you use my big steamer. It is wonderful for doing grapes. You can cook the grapes and get pure juice with absolutely adding no water. It has been a long time since I had access to grapes, but I think I just canned the straight juice and added the sugar when I was mixing the concentrate.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/08/2015  

  • That would be wonderful, Dorcas. I don't know who has a steamer around here, but I'm familiar with how they work. I think somehow the grapes expand during cooking, but I haven't figured out why that happens.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 10/08/2015  

  • I used the method my mom used before she had a steamer. Wash and 'destem' the grapes, putting them in a large pot. Add hot water to one inch above the grapes. Boil for several minutes until the grapes pop open and the peels separate. Dip the juice through a cheesecloth into a gallon jar. Then put the remaining pulp through a food mill for a delightful grape 'pudding'. This year I thickened it and made pie with it. Back to the juice. I added 1 1/2 cups sugar to the gallon jar and then poured it into qt. jars, water bathed it for 20 minutes. Put two qts into a a gallon pitcher, add ice and water. It makes a rich purple juice, even more flavorful than with a steamer. Faster, too. I heard that my family canned nearly 200 qts again this year from vines that must be close to 100 years old! Yes, I miss that juice and was glad to be able to get some this year. Jo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2015  

  • Thanks Jo. This method would solve most of the problems I have with either the method that uses too many jars, or the method that involves too much expansion in the jars. I know that cooking something before it's put in jars usually solves the expansion problem, at least. I'm making a "recipe" page of your comment.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 10/12/2015  

  • There is a local vineyard (John 15 Vineyard in Scranton, IA) here in our area that makes delicious jams and jellies as well as canned grape juice to sell at farmer's market. I wish I was blessed with some vines but I will try my best not to covet my neighbor's vineyard. :)

    By Blogger Plainlady's Ponderings, at 10/23/2015  

  • Hi Miriam, It helps if you don't let the water bath come to a rolling boil, rather boil gently and then turn your burner off, remove the lid and let it rest for 5 min. or more before removing the jars. This helps prevent them from "boiling out".

    By Blogger Faith, at 10/26/2015  

  • Faith, another great tip. Thanks.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 10/26/2015  

Post a Comment



<< Home