Prairie View

Friday, November 07, 2014

Quote for the Day--Nov. 7, 2014

Tristan (who turned three several weeks ago--he's looking at a big tri-fold advertisement flyer.) :  I'm thinking about my newspaper and it's very COMPLICATED.

**************
The first thing I noticed about Tristan's observation is that he has an amazing grasp of syntax, a skill that all pint-sized language learners seem to absorb effortlessly.

The next thing I noticed is that, uncomprehending as he probably is, he hinted at something that not all adults understand.

It's probably not kosher to talk about your grandchildren in class, but I used Tristan's observation to make the point to my typing students that a simplistic view of current events (such as the recent election) is not a responsible view.

We need a lot more information than knowing party affiliation to know whether the election of a certain candidate bodes well for the future or not.  We spent a little time talking about laudable positions that some elected officials hold, and some that may not be so commendable.  Some of what I pointed out in the latter category were direct quotes in this week's newspaper from election winners, about what they intended to do.

What we learn from the newspaper is indeed "very complicated."  My favorite three-year old is onto something.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home