Prairie View

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Revelations

I've studied the evidence and stewed over it and let it simmer, and now I'm speaking about it--the reports coming out of the "Recovering Grace" organization concerning Bill Gothard.  The Recovering Grace website has abundant details, most of which I have no desire to reiterate here.  Suffice it to say that, now that these details have come to light publicly, the board for the Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP) has placed Mr. Gothard on administrative leave, as reported by World magazine.

I am disappointed, of course, at the revelations, especially the fact that some efforts to resolve the issues 30 years ago were met with resistance, and no resolution was possible, and the problems continued under cover.  I am grieved for those who were wounded, some of whose stories were not believed.  Most personally of all, however, I feel a little betrayed because of some of Gothard's teachings that I tried to believe, even though they didn't sound right to me--because people I trusted believed them and taught them.  I'm still sorting through such things.

Recovering Grace (RG) was established as an organization to combat doctrinal errors in IBLP materials and teaching.  As the title suggests, one of the errors they identified was an inordinate emphasis on formulas and steps, which, when followed, would result in blessing and favor.  God's grace was not much in evidence in the teaching.

Also, Gothard's interpretation and application of Scripture was a problem, according to RG.  Standard methods of Bible study were not followed--things like taking into account the context of Bible passages.  Dubious meanings were assigned to words and passages--meanings that could not be reasonably extracted from the simple text or from deeper study of the text.  What can perhaps most simply be called exaggeration was a major problem, as evidenced by Gothard's teaching legitimate Biblical principles in such a way that his own additions to the Biblical principles carried as much weight as the original principles.

RG began, at first, to speak out only about the doctrinal problems in the teaching.  When they did so, however, individuals who had experienced harassment or abuse while working for the ministry at headquarters or elsewhere also began to speak out.  So RG began to try to address some of these issues also, by making direct contacts with Gothard and his board.  Only after these contacts failed to result in any evidence of repentance did RG begin to publicize these stories.

In the internet age, the dynamic has changed since 30 years ago, when those who had serious reservations did essentially what RG is doing now, without the benefit of easy communication among themselves and with the church at large.  The people involved were trusted teachers and leaders, but their work was not widely known, perhaps partly because they were consciously trying not to destroy a ministry that seemed to be doing some things right.  They wished to see corrections made, not to see the ministry effort abandoned.  Not having things handled more publicly, however, meant that some of the eyes and ears that could have helped spot problems and perhaps helped solve them were never alerted to watch for them, and the needed corrections never materialized.  Now, eyes and ears everywhere are wide open, and the facts aren't going away.

 One of the blessings I'm reflecting on regarding the participation of many Mennonites in the Gothard seminars is that most of the people I know had enough discernment to reject the most extreme and doctrinally unsound interpretations and applications of Gothard's teaching.  What I think usually happened is that people who already were fairly familiar with the principles he taught were perhaps strengthened in their resolve to uphold them in the way they were taught in their brotherhood context.   In other words, they did not typically abandon their previous sensible teaching in favor of Gothard's exaggerated teaching.

I feel affirmed in having sorted through and resolved satisfactorily for myself some of the teachings that didn't seem right to me.  This happened over a period of many years, as I encountered situations that called for applying principles as Gothard specified, or principles and applications as God was teaching me, and as others in my faith tradition had been applying them for many years.  I have usually not spoken about my reservations publicly, although the results have at times probably been apparent publicly.  Hearing about some of the lack of integrity in Gothard's personal life, and his failing to follow his own advice has made me sorry for any time I ever wasted feeling guilty for not following his "rules."

The process of sorting out will probably continue for me for some time.  Even the thought of examining things quickly reveals how thoroughly some of the teachings have been ingrained in me.  I certainly want to retain every part of the teaching that is legitimate, but I do not wish to be shackled by what is not valid.  Identifying these distinctions is what looks daunting.  I'm thinking this:  Me.  Pretty far down on the "chain of command," warned against gossip as defined by Gothard, needing both the umbrella and the hedge of protection, not wanting my life message corrupted by sin and failure, etc.  How can I possibly know what I need to know or say what I need to say and do it right?

And then I think:  Me.  Access to Jesus any time.  Cherished by Him.  Taught by God's Spirit.  Called by God to be faithful.  Grateful for His care.  Sobered by my responsibility.

I'm praying for discernment, and for courage.

Here is a snippet of a Facebook conversation that expresses some things worth passing on:

(Explanation:  This comment is responding to a previous one in which someone reported on having been helped to forgive someone, as a result of teaching he received in a Bill Gothard seminar.  Dwight Gingerich is the writer of the comment below.  He's a Facebook friend whom I have never actually met personally.  I appreciate many of his posts.  Quoted by permission.)

Some things I was thinking in response:
* I'm glad to see you drawing closer to God as you ponder these questions.
* One man's failure can in no way negate the good work that God has done in your life! Your life comes from God, not from any man!
* There remains much good in what Gothard taught. As with all hypocritical teachers (and even those with the purest characters), there is a mixture of truth and error. 
* Despite the presence of some errors and (apparently) many false motivations, God graciously uses the truth to free us. I was reminded of Paul's words in Philippians 1:15-18: "15 Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. 16 The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice." (ESV)
* When you forgave and received peace, that was ultimately God's work, not mans. The same God is still working in you today! This should give much hope.

I'm also reminded of the awesome influence that leaders have, and the reason why Paul repeatedly said that church leaders must be "above reproach." A certain amount of trust in church leaders is very healthy and even essential. This is true for all believers and even more so for young believers. This means that our churches absolutely must have attitudes, understandings, and procedures in place to evaluate leaders periodically and remove them when they no longer match the qualifications found in 1 Timothy and Titus. To leave leaders who are not "above reproach" in power will do great damage to the church. 

One of Satan's favorite methods is to 1) Find or create situations where a powerful and charismatic leader is not properly held accountable, 2) rejoice as more and more people put more and more trust in that leader, 3) destroy that leader from within by personal sin and/or theological error, and 4) when that leader's sin is exposed, rejoice as his followers are scattered, many rejecting not only his errors but *also the truths about Christ* that he taught. It is much better for a church to regularly test their leaders by God's word, so that church members are regularly reminded that they are trusting ultimately in God and not merely in man. The church in NYC where I was last a member (Followers of Jesus Mennonite Church) has a 5-year evaluation form that they give out every 5 years to all members and attenders, so that they can give honest (and anonymous, if I remember) feedback on their leaders. If I remember correctly, the lead pastor is evaluated more often, at least by his co-leaders (perhaps every 3 years?). In addition, the church leaders are under a regional overseer, who himself has a term that ends (perhaps every 5 years?). That process is not perfect, but it is much better than what I've seen in some other churches and Christian organizations. We must honor our leaders enough to help them walk in truth.









3 Comments:

  • Thank you Miriam, for a thoughtful and gracious post. Brian and I have recently had several lengthy discussions on both the Gothard case and the Doug Phillips/Vision Forum case. In either case, I personally was not surprised by the issues/sins coming to the surface, and in both cases Brian and I felt that some of the teachings were not Scripturally sound. BUT there still comes a fair amount of wrestling with feeling heartbreak/pain and confusion/disillusionment, and also feeling anger and pain for those deeply hurt over the years.

    I also have a decided aversion to gossip, I know what it is to be hurt deeply by it, and also have the Lord deeply convict in it in my own heart several years ago. So I was asking Brian about how to redemptively discuss these cases with others--not sure he or I know yet.

    I loved your thoughts on "Access to Jesus at anytime." They also reiterate what Brian has said many times in the years of our marriage-- the idea that we should never hold a man or his teaching as a "god" in our lives, the man and the teaching should always point us to Jesus Christ, and to knowing HIM more and more.

    I am especially grateful that we live in a "brotherhood" community where though not perfect by any means, we are held accountable for what we practice and teach at least to some degree.

    Again, thank you, I will be mulling over this post/the facebook excerpt for awhile...
    -Sherilyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/04/2014  

  • Thanks for the comment, Sherilyn. The gossip matter is something I've thought long and hard about too. As you'll see in a later post, this thinking took a surprising turn in the process of considering the BG matter.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 3/04/2014  

  • I echo what Sherilyn said--thank you for your thoughtful and gracious post. I'm so out of the loop that this was my first exposure to what's happened on the Gothard scene, and to have that first exposure to it be words that were honest and yet gracious was the best way to find out about it.

    I especially appreciated this: "Me. Access to Jesus any time. Cherished by Him. Taught by God's Spirit. Called by God to be faithful. Grateful for His care. Sobered by my responsibility." Yes!!! And I would add this: Surrounded by other Spirit-filled believers who can help me discern truth. I think that when we have the kinds of questions about movements or people that you voice here (and I've had my own!), it's vital that we raise those questions. We have the Spirit, thank God, and He teaches us and leads us into truth. But God has also given us our brothers and sisters, and uses them to help us discern truth. I don't think that raising honest questions about teachings and methods is gossip (yes, I already read your next post--thanks for the wise words there, too). Rather, I think it's the way of wisdom, and one of the ways God uses to help us grow in truth.

    Thanks for giving me a lot to think about, and blessings in your continued processing.
    Jeanene

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2014  

Post a Comment



<< Home