Prairie View

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Quote for the Day 3/1/2012

As long as I've taken any notice, my mother has known and used lots of interesting words. I marvel at how her language facility survives, even while her mental acuity diminishes otherwise. Last night I stayed with her during the Wednesday evening church service because, as she puts it, her sitter has not recovered from the fall last week. While that is uppermost in her mind, the rest of us are cautious because she is still recovering from bronchitis and a UTI, and the doctor said it would be best to keep her out of crowds till the flu season is past in mid-March. We'll play it by ear on that last recommendation.

"We used to get frozen fish shipped in from Michigan [to NE Iowa where she grew up]," she told me last night. Talking about how they used up the fish quickly without the benefit of a freezer reminded me that I had read recently that quite a few Amish people are beginning to use solar power to run off-grid electric freezers, so I told Mom what I had heard.

Mom: Well, that's a good thing. More power to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home