Prairie View

Thursday, June 02, 2011

How Not to Answer an Ad

I offered an item on Freecycle recently and this was the first response I got: Intrstd let me knw thx. I wasn't overly impressed with the cordiality of the response--or much of anything about the response, but I told the "Working Mom" that she could have the trash compactor if she contacted me for pickup location, etc. Several days went by and I did not hear from her. Meanwhile about seven other people contacted me, wanting the item. I told each of them that others were ahead of them in line, but I would contact them if it became available.

Yesterday I contacted "Working Mom" and told her that if I didn't hear from her today I would go to the next person in line. Still nothing.

Right after I emailed "Working Mom" the first time, I also responded to the second message: I would love to take it for you, call or text me at 000-0000. Thanks Tyler (He gave me his real number.)

When I told him that he was second in line, he responded with this: Ok, thank you for the quick response. Have a good day.

Today I made arrangements with Tyler to pick up the trash compactor. He told me he would be here just as soon as he puts his baby to bed. The baby is four months old and it was his turn to put the baby to bed tonight. He came right on schedule and picked it up with no hassle. Hiromi actually helped him load it while I was on the phone, so I didn't meet Tyler. Even so, I know some good things about him. 1) He knows how to express himself reasonably well. 2) He is courteous. 3) He keeps his commitments. That's the kind of person I feel good about gifting with something of value.

I can honor a response like"Intrsted let me knw thx" but the warm fuzzy feelings about the interaction are in short supply.

1 Comments:

  • After a few experiences like you described, I began to choose carefully who I would contact about my Freecycle "gifts". I don't give any preference to "first in line" but rather look for the clues that the person has a particular use for the item, or they are someone that I actually know, or they will be reliable about pick-up. It has been a lot of fun to meet people who are happy to have my coffee maker/mattress set/cleaning supplies/ etc.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 6/05/2011  

Post a Comment



<< Home