Prairie View

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mental Photgraphy

I do better at having words at the ready than having a camera at the ready, so I take mental notes when others, better prepared, would take a picture.

Here's the picture I saw on the way home from school tonight around 5:00.

When I came down the overpass on US 50 by the cemetery, headed west, I glanced over to my right where the cemetery lay, and saw what the 2-3 inches of snow and the wind had done there to create something beautiful.

Last night's wind was from the northwest, so every tombstone created a long skinny sparkly-white drift on a NW to SE axis. Slightly bluer snow shadows filled the troughs between the drifts. The sun was very low in the western sky, far to the south, so every tombstone also cast a long black shadow on a SW to NE axis, lying perpendicularly across those waves of snow.

So much beauty and drama in a place that is almost always quiet, and often witness to deep sorrow. I think there's probably a lesson there somewhere. Even if there isn't, it was worth contemplating and worth recording--lovely enough to move my diaphragm sharply.

Maybe someone in the area who has one of those cool many-featured cameras and knows how to use it will come by there tomorrow evening (or morning) and stop there to record what I saw. Tell me if that happens. And tell everyone if you see a lesson in the scene or have a anything at all to add to my mental photography effort.

3 Comments:

  • Aunt I, you need to EMAIL these things to me! Not just post them on your blog! Better yet, text me. :-D

    By Anonymous Hans Mast, at 1/13/2011  

  • I'll try to remember to get in touch with you at "photo opportunity" moments. Not by text though, until I enter the modern world and learn how.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 1/13/2011  

  • My dear friend, if I can text, you can too. It is quite simple. You make me smile!

    By Blogger MaryAnn, at 1/14/2011  

Post a Comment



<< Home