Prairie View

Saturday, October 01, 2022

Farewell to Harley Wagler

Harley Wagler died yesterday.  After a number of weeks of compromised health, he had been diagnosed recently with lymphoma.  The type of lymphoma he had was considered incurable, but treatable, and he had reportedly experienced some improvement as recently as the past weekend.  He was taken to the hospital yesterday morning, and died there in the afternoon at the age of 80 or 81.  Although never married, he had two precious godchildren in Russia, where he lived for most of the last half of his life.  Last year he had returned to Kansas to stay, but not before promising that he would return to Russia to visit his "daughter" this summer (2022).  That obviously didn't happen.

Those bare facts belie quite a remarkable life story which began in an Old Order Amish home.  He joined the church of his childhood, and he told me in an email since he's home that he drove a horse and buggy even after his dad switched to a car.  Later he joined Plainview.  

One of the things that I'm deeply regretful about regarding Harley's death is that his perspective on many facts of church and local history have been lost. He had a good memory and, although I sometimes wanted to argue with him, he always seemed thoughtful and humble--two qualities that I especially admire in others.  I don't claim to have been a close friend of Harley's, but I do feel a personal loss at his death, and I will miss him. 

Harley loved Russia and its people.  The university where he taught for many years threw a big 80th birthday celebration in his honor just after his retirement and before he returned to Kansas.  I believe his heart was broken about recent events there.  He died on the same day that Putin announced the annexation of four Ukrainian  regions.  Perhaps the one good thing about Harley's death now is that he is spared more heartbreak regarding Russia. 

I have written about Harley before, and right now I have nothing more to add.  

3 Comments:

  • Yes Miriam, it is simply an enormous loss to a huge circle of acquaintances. Harley loved Russia and the Russian people. He was a brilliant man who was conversant in many languages (9+?). He always interacted with me kindly and humbly. In recent years, every conversation included some reference of his beloved goddaughter living in Russia. He was heartbroken over the Invasion of Ukraine. It seems to me that had to be a contributing factor to his rapid decline. We commit it all to our Faithful Heavenly Father.

    By Anonymous Lois, at 10/02/2022  

  • I am so sad to hear of this passing. I never really knew Harley, but I respected him and his love for his adopted country.

    By Anonymous Lori Hershberger, at 10/06/2022  

  • Lori, I think you're probably like many other people younger than me from this area. Since he was gone for the school year for many years, the circle of people who interacted with him during the summer had to be somewhat limited because the time was short. Still, what people knew made them respect and appreciate him.

    By Blogger Miriam Iwashige, at 10/06/2022  

Post a Comment



<< Home